Monday, January 28, 2008

Constance

An unannounced and not so welcome visitor to my surgery recovery is, what I have affectionately called Constance, known better to others as constipation. The pain meds aren't all they're cracked up to be ...

I tried the fruits and veggie suggestion for a couple days hoping that it would ferret out Constance without too much trouble - no results to write home about (or write here about). So, last night, Hubs dug out my old pink box of Correctol - relief in a box, or so I thought. The box says, "Gentle, overnight relief." The only true word in that statement is "overnight."

I hadn't eaten much yesterday because I have no way to work up an appetite yet in this first lie-on-my-back-with-foot-propped-up stage of recovery. So, on an empty stomach, I took two tablets and went to bed. And while the night wore on and my meds wore off, I also took two pain meds on an empty stomach.

Realizing my mistake, I stuffed a half column of saltines in my face hoping that it wasn't too late. It was too late.

At about 3:30 a.m., I ended up on the toilet with a wastebasket on my lap. Needless to say, I didn't need the toilet.

Hubs got out of bed, cleaned up the mess and put me back to bed without so much as a fuss. He is in the running for "Best Husband In The World Award" for his performance in the last few days of this saga and his ability to deal with Constance is no exception.

No comments: