Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Threshold

Beginning, commencement, inauguration, inception. Have you ever tried to think of as many words synonymous with the word beginning? Birth, kick-off, starting point, opening ... I was tempted to look it up at www.dictionary.com but I wanted to test myself instead. I made a list of 14 words and I’m sure there are many more.

I liked the synonym threshold the best. It has a particular fitting relevance to the name of my blog, ‘The Brief.’ And the name of my blog, suggested to me by my savvy blogger sister, Jdoc, has a particular fitting relevance to me. So let me connect this all by first telling you a bit about myself…

1. I’m a lawyer and I write legal documents called briefs for a living;
2. I am NOT brief in any sense of the word;
3. I like to put articles of construction (the) in front of descriptive words as if they are nouns in themselves; like The Lively or The Charismatic or The Brief; and
4. Well, there isn’t a fourth but I’m trying to prove the point I made in # 2.

And thus, I chose 'The Brief' for the title of my blog.

Finally, the reason I liked threshold to describe the beginning of this personal endeavor is because, in the legal world, a threshold question is usually the seminal question one asks to begin a query into whether a certain legal standard applies. Simply put, it’s the beginning of an important foray.

And such is the case for me and this blog.

5 comments:

cdoc said...

It is about time you started a blog! Can't wait to read it DAILY and give you crap when you don't write everyday;).

jdoc said...

Yay! You are bookmarked, my friend.

MDoc said...

I look forward to reading entries from all three docs.
MDoc

BDoc said...

Alllllllright Cdoc, do you want me to start tallying your entries? Get WRITING!

LH said...

This is way exciting. Yay. I had a feeling this would happen one of these days. More docs to read. I like that.