Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I Heart My Tyres

I spent a whole lotta cash on my well-being yesterday: 4 new Nokian Tyres on my little car. I have been batting back and forth the idea of getting new tires on my car. I decided long ago that I would either get studded snow tires (something I've never had before) or get new all-season, severe-weather rated tires. Usually I can rely upon Hubs' 4-wheel drive truck to get me around when the weather requires. Since he left, I've been meaning to make an appointment for my little car.

Yesterday when I awoke to rain, it crossed my mind that I would need to get rolling on that plan for new tires. Then, when it turned to snow and the forecast predicted much more of it along with dropping temps, I called my favorite neighborhood tire shop and made an appointment. They had the all-seasons in stock and could get me in by 11 a.m. So, that made my decision: no studded tires. I was reluctant because studs would be perfect for the steep drive up to my little home perched above Helena. However, my friends at the tire store made me think that the all-seasons were my best bet.

$650 later I rolled down the street still unsure but ready to test the new tires in the still-snowing, icy underneath roads. I turned out of the parking lot, stopped at the stop sign and BAM! A freaking idiot rear-ended me. NO KIDDING. Fortunately for her, there wasn't even a scratch on my car. I took her name and number (knowing nothing would come of it) right after she proclaimed: Sorry. Ice. Like it was going to help explain the fact that I'd just seen her pull out in front of another car and then proceed to whack me.

I drove home wary of other drivers. But my car, despite the ice and snow and the steep road, and weather that previously would have left me parked on the roadside hiking up the hill, carried me home without even a spin on the tires. I turned the corner from one steep hill to the next steep hill as if I was on dry pavement. I think I love my new tyres. And I think I'll write to this woman and suggest she get herself an appointment and some new tyres as well.

1 comment:

MontanaScarecrow said...

I'm debating right now about getting new tires for my truck. After the recent snow and cold weather here in Great Falls I've been looking around at prices. The tires aren't Bad but for winter I think I might get new ones.
Can't believe someone hit you right after you got your tires. WOW!Thought only I had that luck.

Drive Safe, Joe