Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ring ...

Canada isn't a foreign country. I would probably have less to write about if I told you what was different than similar - e.g. the currency (the tooney is my fave), the accent ('aboot' is my fave), the propensity for oil and gas development (no faves there), etc. Oh and the light switches are upside down - up is off and down is on - maybe that's just in this office though. But the most striking difference thus far is the telephone... or is it?

So, I'm sitting here working in my Hubs' office (PhD students have some pull around here) and the phone rings. I'm the only one here because Hubs has gone on a lunch date without me (yup, without me even though I've traveled from a FOREIGN COUNTRY to be with him) so I don't know what to do about this ringing phone. It's a land-line first of all so my born-again-virgin-land-line-user self didn't even know it was the phone at first. And secondly, it's the most unusual ring I've ever heard. And while it's been awhile since I've even heard a land-line ring, you can be sure they NEVER sounded like this one. It was a long howl with a scratchy grunt at the end as if a howling dog had a little too much to drink last night.

I wouldn't even blog about such a seemingly insigificant thing (because I usually reserve my blogs for VERY important matters) except that while Hubs and I were running the first day I arrived in Calgary, he paused to shake his head a bit. And then he looked at me puzzled and said, "Sometimes when I run, I get this click in my head. Can you hear it?" I responded with sympathy, of course, because that's what a good wife would do: "Sometimes when I run I can hear music in my head; like now - can you hear it?"

So maybe the telephone I think I'm hearing is the ringing in my head - or Hubs' head. I'll ask him when he returns from the lunch that I'm not eating.

No comments: