Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proud

November 4th was an historic event. This is how I first knew it for myself:

I volunteered as a poll watcher from 6:45 a.m. to 8:45 p.m. I watched voter after voter stand in line, present his/her I.D., accept a ballot and go vote in the booth. It was my role to work with the Election Judges and Chief Election Judge to ensure that every vote counted. And we, together, made the process work.

At one point in the steady but not busy afternoon, a family of four came in to vote. A man and woman, married, and their 4 children ranging in age from a girl of about 5 to the oldest boy of about 13. Two of the children, the youngest, I assumed were biological and the other two the oldest, I assumed, were adopted. They were the first two people of color to go through the line that day and the only ones as the day went on. They looked exactly alike so I also assumed they were brother and sister and had been with this family for a good long time because they were a cohesive unit.

They accompanied their parents to the voting booths "to learn the voting process" as they told us when they went through the line. While they were at the booths, I wondered who counseled whom, as their voices lifted above the room and to our ears: "...no, not that one; he has ugly hair." "Yeah, vote that one, that's who Dad is voting for..." And so on.

But the most touching part came as they exited the building. They trailed out one after another with smiles on their faces and our Dum Dum suckers in their mouths. The last out the door was the oldest adopted boy. He put his arm around his Dad and said, "So, Dad, how do you feel about me running for President someday?" To which is father said, "Yes, You Can." And they laughed as they went out the door.

That feeling never left me for the day and it was confirmed as a common feeling in our country by the many tear-streaked cheeks in the sea of faces in the crowds of support for our new President-Elect.

I slept well last night and didn't even awake to the text message I received at 12:45 a.m.: "We just made history. All of this happened because you gave your time, talent and passion to this campaign. All of this happened because of you. Thanks, Barack."

You're welcome, President. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You put your heart and soul into this campaign and thanks to people like you and your siblings, your children and our grandchildren have a better chance at a great future.
Love you
MDoc