Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Follow-Up

I rolled into my 2d acupuncture appointment much more relaxed than I thought I would. On my way over, I conjured up my most relaxing thoughts and was able to settle those anxious feelings a tad before I subjected myself to more needle torture. I secretly hoped that would mean I didn't have to get the series of needles in my back that were intended to clear the toxins from my body.

Contrary to my plan, I got the series of needles in my back. But this time, they didn't hurt at all; a good sign that the toxins were cleared from my body. I was told that due to the clean and healthy life I led over the weekend (ahem, choke), my body kept releasing the toxins even after their medium (the needles) were gone. I think someone should invent a way to make pillows and cushions be the medium that the body needs to release toxins.

Post toxin release, she poked me with a few more needles that were intended to release the block in my arm keeping my energy from flowing throughout; the flow of energy that is necessary to heal injuries or release stress naturally. Immediatly upon insertion and extraction of each needle from my wrist, the side of my face near the triangle part of the outer ear, and from the inner-eye (YES INNER EYE), I could feel a sensation that was so much like a removal of a plug that released a deluge of stuff from inside. I felt cleared in the same way you get relief when your nose finally unplugs after days of sniffling and breathing through your mouth. In one area, near the triangle of the outer ear, in the void left when you open your jaw, she missed the "meridian" where she intended to place the needle. I didn't feel a thing. By contrast, when she placed the needle in the "meridian," a mere hair from the original placement, I confirmed my belief in the values of acupuncture. I felt, this time, an extremely intense release of a plug and then subsequent flow that hasn't stopped since my appointment yesterday.

I felt GREAT when I left. I still have the tingling sensation in my fingers but the arm pain is gone. I don't know how it's done or whether there are studies on the science of acupuncture, but it doesn't matter; feeling is believing.

No comments: