Monday, February 16, 2009

One-Year Update

Approximately one year ago, I had surgery on my right foot. This is what it looked like before the surgery.
I had a severe bunion that my fate linked me to since birth. The bone attached to my big toe was a 45 degree angle to what it was supposed to be and thus, I had bones protruding from the side of my foot since birth; my right foot worse than the left. I named my bunion Rafael and just dealt with the pain of activity for most of my life. However, in the past few years, the pain got increasingly worse and unacceptably hindered my favorite activities, running, backpacking and skiing. So, I saw a doc knowing that I'd probably end up under the knife.

Alas, on January 25, 2008, I went under the knife. They broke bones to fuse back together with screws and cut me in inexplicable places (between my toes YIKES) just to relieve the tension the skin put on my bones. I was on crutches for EIGHT WEEKS without permission to even rest my foot on the ground. Needless to say, my arms were well exercised and my left leg was STRONG. My right however, well, it was pitiful. I knew it would take months for me to get back to where I was prior to the surgery. The dimples in my upper thigh were disgusting.



I started working out slowly as I still had much pain in my right foot and leg. I could run on the treadmill but the cement was too jarring to do anything but walk. It was a long haul for me to get back on my feet again the way I had pre-surgery. But a year later and back at my usual active level, I feel better than ever. I don't know that I'd do it all over again. Maybe at some point with a little time, I'll be able to more effectively weigh the pain and frustration (for both me and Hubs) of recovery to the pain of activity before surgery. Right now the pain of recovery is most acute in my brain. But I will say that I still remember quite distinctly that I was never able to run for as long as I wanted without limping afterward. I remember (and still have) all the stained socks because of how activity would result in bloody raw skin. I remember that backpacking was a test to how much pain I could endure and for how long. And I remember how much my foot would be screaming inside those ski boots; even more so than my screaming thighs.

But that's all changed since my surgery and I'm happy to report that I am satisfied with the decision I made to go under the knife. I have many plans for these feet so I am thankful every day that they might take me places I've never gone before. They even look pretty good in strappy sandals, something I've never worn before. Thanks Dr. Hansen.

No comments: