Thursday, August 14, 2008

Readers ...

I am currently wearing my new reader glasses. They aren't bifocals like the Eye Doc suggested. Rather, they are the reading glasses you find on a twisty rack with frames in a rainbow of colors that are generally reserved for the geriatric population. The only ones I could find, until I received a tip from a co-worker, were ones with rhinestone paw prints in the corners of the frame, or the ones with bright blue cat print for frames, or my favorite, the metal silver frames the size of the popular sunglasses that cover to mid-forehead and down to the lower cheek; cool for sunglasses, not so cool perched on my nose while reading.

And even though I've found reading glasses per se, I haven't been able to easily find the low-strength glasses I need: 1.00. Apparently the reading glasses industry tailors their styles AND strength for the advanced age and therefore, advanced need for magnifying. There are a variety of styles for the 2.00 to 3.50 strength. I tried them and thought they might cause seizures; one should never operate machinery while wearing those things.

Thankfully, I described my situation - not picky; don't really care what they look like; not ridiculous; and definitely not rhinestones - to a co-worker friend and she suggested my favorite grocery store - the Real Food Store. I rushed straight there. There were the usual advanced age styles and strength but if you looked close enough, and I did, there were semi-stylish-not-ridiculous tortoise-shelled 1.00 strength reading glasses tucked in and away where no one ever looked; I think they were even dusty.

I may not look geriatric; but I look serious and very wise (and scary?) ...

2 comments:

jdoc said...

Totally Mrs. Breding

BDoc said...

I KNEW IT. Don't I look scary?